Sunday 24 April 2016

A brilliant day part 2, up in the mountains

After a fine morning seeing my sculptures patinated, I was taken out into the middle of nowhere.  I didn't think the day could get any better but I had the best ever tour guide, Fabricio, who decided that I needed to see more of this beautiful place before I have to leave. He knows these mountains, inside the hundreds of miles of caves and out all across the tops too, like the back of his hand. The weather was stunning, glorious sunshine and clear so we had superb views. 

A view across to the quarry where Michelangelo got his stone, now the skyline is protected and it is not permitted to cut the tops down flat like they were then. Carara is on the other side, we could hear some quarrying but it was muted



Looking the other way


 Moving on, we went through forest to a valley between the heights; Fabricio striding out across the summer pastures, I was reminded of my childhood reading Heidi. There were no roads, no tarmac for miles and it was so quiet! No traffic or aircraft. A woodpecker pounding away in the distance, a cuckoo possibly and lots of other bird song



 old terracing for vegetables

 a church in the middle of the pastures, we passed very dozy cows with huge horns to get here, I think they were thinking a la Noel Coward 'Mad dogs and Englishmen', it was a very warm day.

 Fabry

 A small town still being renovated after a devastating mud slide 20 years ago


Finally after a small hike through some undergrowth, we found this, an amazing waterfall that Disney would have proud of, 



 and yes I slipped but only had wet feet. Thank you Fabry, for a wonderful day


1 comment:

  1. What an adventure! These pictures are incredible!! Is there anything better than being someplace new with someone who is super familiar with it? Safe travels, my friend!

    ReplyDelete